Description and Composition of Mepisan Cream
Mepisan Cream contains Mepyramine Maleate 2% as its active ingredient. It also contains other inactive ingredients called excipients in sufficient quantities.
It is available as a smooth white homogenous cream in 20g Tube for topical use.
Mepyramine maleate is a derivative of ethylenediamine with the actions and uses of the histamine H1-receptor antagonists. Mepyramine maleate has also been shown experimentally to possess local analgesic action
Uses of Mepisan Cream
- Mepisan Cream is used for the relief of symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions and in pruritic skin disorders.
- It is used to relieve itching and pain associated with insect bites and stings.
- It also relieves the irritation and pain of nettle rash
- The Cream is a useful first-aid dressing for sunbum, minor scalds and burns
When not to use Mepisan Cream
- Mepyramine is not to be used in premature infants and neonates.
- It should not be used in acute vesicular and exudative dermatoses.
- Don’t use the cream with occlusive dressings.
- Don’t use it on broken skin and in patients hypertensive to Mepyramine.
- It should not be used by pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Dosage and administration
Mepisan Cream should be applied to the affected area two or three times daily for up to three days. Special care must be taken when large areas of broken skin are involved and application must be documented immediately if there is an adverse skin reaction due to sensitization to the product.
How to use
The cream is for external use only.
Rub it gently into affected area two to three times daily for up to three days or as directed by the physician.
Discontinue the cream if adverse skin reaction is noticed. Do not use on broken skin surfaces or for acute vesicular and exudative dermatoses.
Side effects and precautions
- Topical therapy may produce hypersensitivity reactions, particularly of the skin and cross-sensitivity to related drugs may occur.
- Skin sensitization, eczematous reactions and photosensitivity may develop after topical application.
- Systemic side effects have been reported after topical application of antihistamines to large areas of the skin.
How to store Mepisan Cream
Store below 30°C. Protect from light and moisture. Keep out of the reach of children