What is Meloxicam?
Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for the treatment of medical conditions that are associated with pains and inflammations such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, menstrual cramps, among others.
It comes in different dosage forms and strengths. The most commonly available dosage forms of Meloxicam include regular tablets, effervescent tablets, suspension, capsules, and injections.
Because of growing queries by people on the best time to take Meloxicam, we decided to put up the answer here.
Dosing schedule of Meloxicam
Meloxicam is a strong pain killer that remains in the body more than 24 hours before it’s completely cleared off the body.
Its half-life is 20 hours. This means that it takes the body 20 hours to get rid of half of the drug.
That’s to say, if you take 15mg of Meloxicam, it will take your body 20 hours to get rid of 7.5mg out of the 15mg.
For this reason, it is dosed once daily, either in the morning, afternoon or at night. As a pain killer, it is often used on a need basis or as recommended by your doctor.
Being that it is taken once a day, it means that Meloxicam can either be taken in the morning, in the afternoon or at night.
But what is the best time to take it for an effective outcome?
Please stay tuned for the answer and the reason behind it.
Best time to take Meloxicam
Meloxicam should be taken either in the morning, in the afternoon or at night depending on your preference or daily schedule.
Please note that you are to adhere to any chosen time of the day.
That’s to say, if you choose morning as your preferred time to take Meloxicam, then always take it in the morning. If night, then always take it at night. This is because it’s taken once at 24-hour intervals.
The reason why you can take Meloxicam at any preferred time is because pain and inflammation do not depend on time to present.
Yes, you can feel pain in the mornings, in the afternoons, and at nights. So, painkillers can be taken any time.
Why you may need to take Meloxicam in the mornings
Like we earlier stated, Meloxicam can be taken either in the mornings, afternoons,or at nights.
The following are the reasons you may want to choose mornings as your preferred time to take Meloxicam:
- If you engage in intermittent fasting such that you skip your dinners, then choosing mornings might work better for you, especially if you do have irritations when you take Meloxicam on an empty stomach.
- If you live and work in a city that is always having traffic congestion such that you get home late at nights, then choosing mornings will be more beneficial as you would adhere better to your medication
- If you are always away from home at nights, then mornings should be the best to take Meloxicam.
Why you may need to take Meloxicam at nights
- If you leave home very early in the mornings, but come home relatively early every working days, then nights might be the best for you to take Meloxicam
- If you are the type that skip breakfasts and you do have irritations when you take Meloxicam on an empty stomach, then nights might be the best for you to the it
- If you are taking other pills in the mornings such as antihypertensives, antidiabetics, antihyperlipidemics etc., then choosing to take Meloxicam at nights might make more sense in other to decrease pill burden and lessen chances of drug-drug interactions.
Conclusion: should I take Meloxicam at night or in the morning?
Take Meloxicam at your preferred time or when it most convenient for you to do so.
Taking it in the mornings is as effective as taking it at nights. This is also true for taking it in the afternoons.
Just note that it is taken once daily. So, choose your and prefer time and adhere to it.